shed due to propecia

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

reborn88
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

shed due to propecia

Post by reborn88 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:21 pm

hi I'm new here so soory if i'm not on the right section

here's my problem: i've been on propecia for about 2 months and a half and approximately 2 weeks ago I noticed that my hair in the frontal area is thinning and falling... the hairs on the front are really thin and i'm sure i didn't have any problem in there before starting on propecia. So my question is: is this the shedding that some attribute to propecia (I found a website that claims shedding because of propecia is a myth)? Considering that no other part on my scalp is thining besides the vertex (that was already before taking prop)... or is propecia accelerating my hairloss, hair thining!??
thanks

Mexican Hair Off
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: Propecia daily
Nizoral 2% 2xweek

DermMatch or a hat :)

Re: shed due to propecia

Post by Mexican Hair Off » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:47 am

Hi you two,

If shedding from Propecia's a myth I think most people ever to use it must be mad, myself included! It does happen to many people.

As you said it does vary between people, my shedding wasn't too severe and only lasted a month, starting a month after beginning Propecia. But equally I've never had significant re-growth, I had shedding, the shed hair came back abotu a month after excessive shedding stopped, and now all is quiet and peaceful.

The real difference between shedding and hair loss is that shedding stops, I know this is hard to take as you just have to believe, but really just do it. Otherwise, and there are loads of posts like this, you've taken the drug, it's started to work so you've shed and panicked and then stopped before it can actually re-grow anything or even ensure your shed hair comes back.

It's a long and difficult process but have a little patience, and hopefully as you've both shed (i.e. reacted to treatment) more than I did hopefully you'll get a stonger result at the end of it.

Good Luck ! :D
"In some situations just staying still counts as winning"

Trichotillmania
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Trichotillmania » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:41 am

Is the shed from dut worse?

N0rwgnKid
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by N0rwgnKid » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:27 am

Reborn88. If I could take a guess, that site saying that propecia shedding is a myth is probably selling the pill themselves am I right ? :wink:

Anyways, as far as my experience go, shedding due to new treatments is not a myth, I've shedded from every new treatment I have started. Whether shedding is a positive thing only, is yet to be determined, cause shedding is a controvers subject, but it seems one agrees that it is a sign that a treatment is working,. I actually shedded about 4-5 months on propecia after starting around new-year, no kidding. If it works for me is yet to be seen, so I am NOT trying to push anything on you or anything, just saying that if I shedded for 5 months and I got through it you'rs is probably normal aswell :) Add some enterolactone precursors though, flaxseed- and 7-HMR-lignans.