a quick d.i.y observation on scalp bone growth.

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood III
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

a quick d.i.y observation on scalp bone growth.

Post by cuebreeze » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:01 pm

Try feeling around your hairline/forhead. You will probably feel a very slight difference but i can deffently feel it.

You should feel the bone has pushed out where ever you have receded. It will only be a little bit but it will go from the widows peak.... to the the temples and right down the hairline to your ears. The hair grows perfectly (but receded) right along where this bone growth finishes.

Let me know if you can feel this too?

Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode Laser Messiah II
IH's top 3 plus resv
4 Shampoo rotation
Mag Oil 3x a week
Scalpure
Adding Super Zix 2, PP topical, and Pauling Protocol

Re: a quick d.i.y observation on scalp bone growth.

Post by 1..... » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:47 pm

yeah its like that for me

Anxious1
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Post by Anxious1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:49 am

yep, i can too, but i still dont see how u can tell the difference between it being bone growing out, or fat and muscle layers reducing, or tightening.

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster

Post by cuebreeze » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:05 am

also my thinning is alot worse around my right temple. To add onto that my bone sticks out alot more right at the point where the hair has receded to on the right side.

Dobika
Regular Poster
Treatment Regimen: Lasers, toco8, scalp exercises, diet, exercise, nioxin

Post by Dobika » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:43 am

Cuebreeze, I can't feel any bone growth like you describe but I do think I have a bigger head than I use to.

Lapwing
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)

Post by Lapwing » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:26 pm

Your bones remodel throughout your whole life so there will be some slight changes. I am still the same hat size I was in High School. I think skull expansion is a red herring for MPB. If you are body builder and have gained like 50 pounds in body weight then maybe your skull will be a little bigger now.

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster

Post by cuebreeze » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:59 pm

i think people mis-understand the skull expansion theory.

The theory isnt that your whole skull expands evenly.

The emenecies at the front and back (a rather large area of the mpb scalp grow grow lumpy bone growths. Just feel around your temple area (if youve receded) and you'll see what i mean.

The idea is to flatten out all these lumps. Not to flatten out the over all head. Well technically those lumps will develop all over so that is true but it doesnt grow generally in one big lump. You must flatten all the little lumps to become one flat surface

Saber28
Regular Poster

Post by Saber28 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:53 am

I found a "pirate copy" of the skull expansion book. The guy makes some good points, but then reality has to set in. He's full of it.

Try wearing braces if you want to feel what it's like on moving bone around. You aren't moving bone no matter how much you try. More than likely my speculation of how he has regrown hair is injuring the capillaries and they heal over time opening up paths in the subdermal scar tissue.

Skull expansion is a myth, IT DOES NOT HAPPEN the bones won't allow it. At least not without severe pain involved. If you don't believe me, by all means wear a set of braces for 1 week. Feel how tender your teeth are after the first 24 hours. That is what moving bone feels like. Not putting tension on bone that isn't nearly enough to move it in any sort of way.

He uses Brad Pitt as an example of "square" head. Umm Go watch the movie Fight Club where he shaved his head. You'll notice it's just as round as everyone elses.

kamisama
Seasoned Poster

Post by kamisama » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:53 am

cuebreeze wrote:i think people mis-understand the skull expansion theory.

The theory isnt that your whole skull expands evenly.

The emenecies at the front and back (a rather large area of the mpb scalp grow grow lumpy bone growths. Just feel around your temple area (if youve receded) and you'll see what i mean.

The idea is to flatten out all these lumps. Not to flatten out the over all head. Well technically those lumps will develop all over so that is true but it doesnt grow generally in one big lump. You must flatten all the little lumps to become one flat surface

so does the theory explains for diffuse thinning?

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:06 am

im not commenting now on the theory, cos it definately has its pros and cons,

but i will say that ur entire skeleton does lose and gain bone, meaning it must be possible for certain areas for one reason or another change shape, and it also must be possible to make braces that can be worn to encourage or discourage new bone growth in certain areas.

the main cells of the bone are osteoblasts, osteoclasts, and osteocytes and chondrocytes.

the osteocytes maintain the bone, the osteoclasts break down bone, and the osteoblasts create new bone. the entire skeleton is replaced bit by bit at least once in ur lifetime, so its feasible it changes shape. If this theory wasnt possible, then neither would it be possible for bones to heal themselves (providing they are set in place) after breaking them.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:11 am

this is just from wikipedia, but its a easy to understand explanation.

[edit] Remodeling
Remodeling or bone turnover is the process of resorption followed by replacement of bone with little change in shape and occurs throughout a person's life. Osteoblasts and osteoclasts, coupled together via paracrine cell signalling, are referred to as bone remodeling units.

[edit] Purpose
The purpose of remodeling is to regulate calcium homeostasis, repair micro-damaged bones (from everyday stress) but also to shape and sculpture the skeleton during growth.

[edit] Calcium balance
The process of bone resorption by the osteoclasts releases stored calcium into the systemic circulation and is an important process in regulating calcium balance. As bone formation actively fixes circulating calcium in its mineral form, removing it from the bloodstream, resorption actively unfixes it thereby increasing circulating calcium levels. These processes occur in tandem at site-specific locations.

[edit] Repair
Repeated stress, such as weight-bearing exercise or bone healing, results in the bone thickening at the points of maximum stress (Wolff's law). It has been hypothesized that this is a result of bone's piezoelectric properties, which cause bone to generate small electrical potentials under stress.[3]

[edit] Paracrine cell signalling
The action of osteoblasts and osteoclasts are controlled by a number of chemical factors which either promote or inhibit the activity of the bone remodelling cells, controlling the rate at which bone is made, destroyed or changed in shape. The cells also use paracrine signalling to control the activity of each other.

[edit] Osteoblast stimulation
Osteoblasts can be stimulated to increase bone mass through increased secretion of osteoid and by inhibiting the ability of osteoclasts to break down osseous tissue.

Bone building through increased secretion of osteoid is stimulated by the secretion of growth hormone by the pituitary, thyroid hormone and the sex hormones (estrogens and androgens). These hormones also promote increased secretion of osteoprotegerin.[4] Osteoblasts can also be induced to secrete a number of cytokines that promote reabsorbtion of bone by stimulating osteoclast activity and differentiation from progenitor cells. Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone and stimulation from osteocytes induce osteoblasts to increase secretion of RANK-ligand and interleukin 6, which cytokines then stimulate increased reabsorbtion of bone by osteoclasts. These same compounds also increase secretion of macrophage colony-stimulating factor by osteoblasts, which promotes the differentiation of progenitor cells into osteoclasts, and decrease secretion of osteoprotegerin.

[edit] Osteoclast inhibition
The rate at which osteoclasts resorb bone is inhibited by calcitonin and osteoprotegerin. Calcitonin is produced by parafollicular cells in the thyroid gland, and can bind to receptors on osteoclasts to directly inhibit osteoclast activity. Osteoprotegerin is secreted by osteoblasts and is able to bind RANK-L, inhibiting osteoclast stimulation.[4]

Saber28
Regular Poster

Post by Saber28 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:13 am

Anxious1 wrote:im not commenting now on the theory, cos it definately has its pros and cons,

but i will say that ur entire skeleton does lose and gain bone, meaning it must be possible for certain areas for one reason or another change shape, and it also must be possible to make braces that can be worn to encourage or discourage new bone growth in certain areas.

the main cells of the bone are osteoblasts, osteoclasts, and osteocytes and chondrocytes.

the osteocytes maintain the bone, the osteoclasts break down bone, and the osteoblasts create new bone. the entire skeleton is replaced bit by bit at least once in ur lifetime, so its feasible it changes shape. If this theory wasnt possible, then neither would it be possible for bones to heal themselves (providing they are set in place) after breaking them.
Your skeleton actually replaces itself every 7 years, but it rebuilds around current frame work. Without using a LOT of pressure (they use metal and titanium screws on accident victims to move the bone back in place) you ARE NOT going to get the bone to move without that much pressure. This guy wants to use tension and compression which isn't nearly enough to move bone in any significant way.

Like I said I think what's really going on is he is injuring the skin and is a form of wound healing. Same with the whole massage therapy. I went and got my old military records out as they measure everything. I looked at it and brought out the measuring tape. My skull is the EXACT same size it was when I was 20 years old with a full head of hair.

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster

Post by cuebreeze » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:26 pm

all good points but againt. He doesnt want to 'move' bone. He wants to flatten it. And he claims it only taks a tiny bit of change for big hair regrowth.

Difuse thinning i think would be due to blood supply as there is a bigger capillary network around the sides of the head.

Saber28
Regular Poster

Post by Saber28 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:23 pm

cuebreeze wrote:all good points but againt. He doesnt want to 'move' bone. He wants to flatten it. And he claims it only taks a tiny bit of change for big hair regrowth.

Difuse thinning i think would be due to blood supply as there is a bigger capillary network around the sides of the head.
Without more force you're not going to flatten it either.
brad-fight-club-2.jpg
brad-fight-club-2.jpg (142.8 KiB) Viewed 11637 times
Here's a picture of Brad Pitt shaved head in Fight club. Sorry but his head doesn't look flat in any spot.

Dobika
Regular Poster
Treatment Regimen: Lasers, toco8, scalp exercises, diet, exercise, nioxin

Post by Dobika » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:54 am

Cuebreeze, do you think the scalp exercises has any relationship to the scalp expansion idea? Maybe the exercises strengthen muscles and pulls the bone back in place.

N0rwgnKid
Seasoned Poster

Post by N0rwgnKid » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:07 am

Dobika wrote:Cuebreeze, do you think the scalp exercises has any relationship to the scalp expansion idea? Maybe the exercises strengthen muscles and pulls the bone back in place.
Guess its got more to do with cirkulation and drenage, hindering hardening and tightening of the scalp.

jdp710
Prolific Poster

Post by jdp710 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:48 pm

IMO, the benefits probably reside in reducing edema. If the benefits do reside in reducing lymphedema then maybe reducing either DHT "or" edema would help correct the problem. But since reducing edema is hard then treating both is what's recommended if I'm not mistaken. Sorta like how in this study MCMV infection and high cholesterol diet together induced atherosclerotic plaque formation in mouse aortas but neither MCMV infection nor high cholesterol diet alone, however, caused atherosclerosis." http://www.plospathogens.org/article/in ... at.1000427

Anyway, Stephen Foote has talked about edema greatly. Here's one thread ... I haven't read it entirely but I'm sure he covers it here

http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/disc ... 1184004775

If he doesn't cover it well then you can google his name.