Anyone tried Fluridil?

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

LaserKid
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Anyone tried Fluridil?

Post by LaserKid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:31 am

Anyone tried it? I'm considering adding it to my regimen. I'm already on propecia but I think testosterone may be the root cause of hair thinning at the front and I need something to tackle it.

May also consider RU58841 as well. Anyone any experience of either of these?

p__
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II A
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Re: Anyone tried Fluridil?

Post by p__ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:41 am

Yup, I tried it for a few months but it didn't do anything for me as far as I could tell. Maybe it helped me maintain but it's impossible to tell. I know El Duterino over at some other site uses it and claims some degree of success, but he's on many things at the same time...

Back then, I looked through their study which looked rather professional. But one thing that caught my eye was the distribution and level of confidence of the results in the placebo versus Fluridil group. IIRC results where measured in anagen to catagen ratio (which is not a direct measure of [re]growth, though). The Fluridil group had a statistically significant increase of, say, 10% on average. The placebo group had an statistically insignificant increase of, let's say, 8%. I don't recall any of the exact actual figures, but I think they where somewhere along these lines. Now, in their conclusions, that was translated to a 10% total increase, since the placebo group had a variation which made it statistically insignificant at the chosen level of confidence. I'm not sure it's completely OK to consider the increase 0 just because it was insignificant at the given level of confidence. One could be tempted to wonder if they selected the level of confidence to achieve that effect, the placebo group "falling outside" of the level of significance. If one would just look at the averages, the Fluridil group was only 2% better than placebo... Maybe someone more knowledgable in statistics and clinical trials could chime in?

And yes, I tried RU as well for a short time. I actaully have some left, but I really can't provide a good evaluation of it. The thing is that I'm slightly allergic to PPG, which is commonly used to make a topical solution of it. I tried various other bases, such as creams and even DMSO, but safety concerns and other factors made me stop the trial. All in all, I tried it too short a time and too inconsistently to give an opinion.