Folliculitis Decalvans

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Folliculitis Decalvans

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:33 pm

I think I spelt that correctly... If not I'll fix it later. In any case, I have discovered recently that the inflammation I have had for years in my crown area is most likely a form of folliculitis called folliculitis decalvanes. My dermatologist (top dermatologist specializing in hair in Vancouver) make the diagnosis recently. So I'm basically screwed in the crown unless I get it under control, because this form of folliculitis causes a scarring alopecia that destroys the hair follicles! So even if I am a great responder to Propecia and Minoxidil and Revivogen, I will never regrow the hair whose follicles are dead.

I have a feeling that this form of folliculitis is actually very common, because nobody has been able to diagnos this problem for over ten years of time that I have been experiencing hair loss.

I'm pissed off. But at the same time, I feel like if I can treat this inflammatory condition, then my treatments for regrowing and maintaining hair will be even more effective than they already have been for me.

I am more convinced that ever that inflammation plays a major role in hair loss, even androgenetic alopecia (which I have, in addition to the folliculitis).

Perhaps one of the reasons the lasercomb helps improve the condition of the scalp is though helping to eliminate inflammation. For instance, I know that during the summer, my sebborheic dermatitis in the facial area almost completely disappears, only to reappear in the winter. I think this is because of sunlight.

I asked my dermatologist about the lasercomb and he suggested that it may well help reduce inflammation. I am going to redouble my efforts to get my hands on one.

Regards,
Sam
Last edited by HairLossFight.com on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by Jacob » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:03 pm

Inflamil seems to work for inflammation that you can actually feel...have yet to read someone say it hasn't. I wasn't experiencing inflammation- at least that I could feel- but I got some in case there's inflammation going on that I'm not aware of. Then awhile ago I did have the kind of "pain" where you just rub your hand over your hair and it actually hurts. Used Inflamil that night and everything was fine.

I also take Krill oil and GliSODin(internally)....both known to help with inflammtion.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:27 pm

Hi Jacob,

I'm kicking myself for not taking the inflammation thing more seriously years ago. I'm a pretty good responder to various treatments like Minox, Revivogen, Propecia, etc... the staples. Since I've been aggressively sticking with my regimen for the past year I have had great results in the frontal hairline, top of the head, and temple areas, but my crown has barely held. I should have taken the slight pain in that area more seriously, but always that it was just mild inflammation and didn't think it could actually kill the follicles.

Now, I finally learn that not only do I have androgenetic alopecia, but in my crown I definitely also have this folliculitis decalvans, which actually causes hair cell aptosis or cell death. Fabulous eh?

Anyway, I have been having great results fighting the inflammation with a product called Tersaseptic Shampoo. It has virtually (but not completely) eliminated most of the inflammation. I will be visiting Dr. Jerry Shapiro next month to see whether I need to treat it more aggressively. What sucks is that even though I respond well to the androgenetic alopecia treatments, the hair that I have lost in my crown area is probably not possible to grow back because the folliculitis there has killed it off. My best bet is probably a hair transplant down the road, if and only if, I can get rid of the folliculits.

Thanks for the advice. I definitely have to check out this inflamil product.

Regards,
Sam