Vitamin E may reverse male pattern baldness: Study

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

astro_boy
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Experimenting like Crazy

Post by astro_boy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:11 pm

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Researc ... dy?nocount
By Stephen Daniells, 28-Apr-2009

Related topics: Research, Antioxidants, carotenoids, Vitamins & premixes

Daily supplements of a patented tocotrienol (vitamin E) complex may increase hair growth in people with male pattern baldness by 42 per cent, suggests a new study from Carotech.

The eight month randomized, placebo-controlled trial involved 28 volunteers with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern baldness), and was performed at the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Science Malaysia.

“This is the first ever study to report such benefits for tocotrienols,” Dr Sharon Ling, regional sales manager for Carotech, told NutraIngredients.com. Dr Ling will present the findings at next week’s Vitafoods International Conference in Geneva.

The study findings have yet to be submitted for publication in a peer-review journal due to some of the finer points of patent law, said Dr Ling. NutraIngredients.com has not seen the full data.

Male pattern baldness

According to the American Medical Association, about 95 per cent of all cases of hair loss are due to male pattern baldness, a condition that affects about 40 million American men.

The balding is reported to start by the age of 30 in 25 per cent of men, and in two-thirds by the age of 60. According to the AMA, there is a 4 in 7 chance of inheriting the baldness gene.

New data

According to data provided by Dr Ling, the Malaysian researchers conducted a double blind placebo-controlled clinical trial on volunteers with androgenetic alopecia using Carotech’s Tocomin SupraBio, a patented tocotrienol complex reported to increase oral absorption of tocotrienols by 300 per cent.

The eight-month study included 28 volunteers aged between 18 and 59 with a hair loss problem for approximately two to five years. During the course of the study, instructions were given to not alter their hairstyle, hair care products (shampoo, conditioners, etc) or dye their hair.

Volunteers were randomly assigned to the palm tocotrienol complex (total tocotrienol intake of 100 mg) or the placebo (soft gelatin capsule containing 600 mg soy bean oil)

Hair counts, measured by the counting the number of hairs in a pre-selected 2x2 cm area, were found to significantly increase by an average of 41.8 per cent in the tocotrienol group, with eight volunteers experiencing greater than 50 per cent hair growth. In the placebo group, however, no statistically significant differences in the number of hairs were detected before or after the study period, and only one volunteer showed more than 20 per cent increase in hair count.

The vitamin E family

There are eight forms of vitamin E: four tocopherols (alpha, beta, gamma, delta) and four tocotrienols (alpha, beta, gamma, delta). Alpha-tocopherol is the main source found in supplements and in the European diet, while gamma-tocopherol is the most common form in the American diet.

Tocotrienols (TCT) are only minor components in plants, although several sources with relatively high levels include palm oil, cereal grains and rice bran.

While the majority of research on vitamin E has focused on alpha-Toc, studies into tocotrienols account for less than one per cent of all research into vitamin E.

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Re: Vitamin E may reverse male pattern baldness: Study

Post by Jacob » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:53 pm

You can get that brand at Vitacost. I don't know why the Toco-8 was the one that got so much attention. Well..I do know..but I'm conspiracy-free for a week. :-s

dreamlandman
Seasoned Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A
Treatment Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily

Post by dreamlandman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:16 am

Thanks astro-boy for sharing that. Pretty fascinating, especially considering the price and naturalness/health benefits of the product.
The Vitacost version looks to be a definite addition to one's arsenal. I'm guessing 2 caps at 60mg each would suffice for a daily dose, given that in the study 100mg was used.

Something else to buy, when I hopefully get some more money soon. :?

Justin.
Last edited by dreamlandman on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chain
Occasional Poster

Post by chain » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:39 am

Jacob wrote:You can get that brand at Vitacost. I don't know why the Toco-8 was the one that got so much attention. Well..I do know..but I'm conspiracy-free for a week. :-s
Unfortunatelly they do not ship to Bulgaria :(. Is there another i-net retailer that sells this product?

astro_boy
Prolific Poster

Post by astro_boy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:53 am

Yeah, I posted because it looks like something to try for fairly cheap, I mean every bit helps right. I read about the Toco-8 study too but it seemed a bit too unscientific. The one thing that concerns me about this study though is they only took a 2x2cm area... that's not that big at all and only a few hairs increase in that small area could account for a large percentage increase. Regardless I may try this when some of my other vitamins run out.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:24 pm

Hey Chain..welcome to the forum. Other brands do use it..and there are quite a few places that sell them(although probably not cheaper). Just Google "Tocomin".

Swanson has one that has a very good combo(I'll hope for a buy one get one free deal though :lol: ) http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU209/I ... 4294967192

Some at Iherb that contain it: http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Fa ... /3304?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-To ... s/137?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Gamma-E- ... s/299?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Tru-E-Bi ... /7225?at=0

That last one looks pretty good.

Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode Laser Messiah II
IH's top 3 plus resv
4 Shampoo rotation
Mag Oil 3x a week
Scalpure
Adding Super Zix 2, PP topical, and Pauling Protocol

Post by 1..... » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:27 pm

Whats the different between this and vitamin E you pick up a vitamin shop

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:43 pm

1..... wrote:Whats the different between this and vitamin E you pick up a vitamin shop
The last part of Astro Boy's post pretty much sums it up:
There are eight forms of vitamin E: four tocopherols (alpha, beta, gamma, delta) and four tocotrienols (alpha, beta, gamma, delta). Alpha-tocopherol is the main source found in supplements and in the European diet, while gamma-tocopherol is the most common form in the American diet.

Tocotrienols (TCT) are only minor components in plants, although several sources with relatively high levels include palm oil, cereal grains and rice bran.

While the majority of research on vitamin E has focused on alpha-Toc, studies into tocotrienols account for less than one per cent of all research into vitamin E.

Prolific Poster
IH's top 3 plus resv
4 Shampoo rotation
Mag Oil 3x a week
Scalpure

Post by 1..... » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:39 pm

Jacob wrote:You can get that brand at Vitacost. I don't know why the Toco-8 was the one that got so much attention. Well..I do know..but I'm conspiracy-free for a week. :-s
What is your take on toco-8? I just got accepted in the PP hairgen trial which will start in the end of June

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:43 pm

My take..it's not as convenient :lol:

I really have no idea...'cept that it probably can't hurt to take any of these E products. My preference would probably be that expensive Swanson one..and then something like that NOW Tru-E.

Prolific Poster
IH's top 3 plus resv
4 Shampoo rotation
Mag Oil 3x a week
Scalpure

Post by 1..... » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:57 pm

the hairgen stuff has toco-8 in it, lets see how putting this vitamin E on your head can help

chain
Occasional Poster

Post by chain » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:35 pm

Jacob wrote:Hey Chain..welcome to the forum. Other brands do use it..and there are quite a few places that sell them(although probably not cheaper). Just Google "Tocomin".

Swanson has one that has a very good combo(I'll hope for a buy one get one free deal though :lol: ) http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU209/I ... 4294967192

Some at Iherb that contain it: http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Fa ... /3304?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-To ... s/137?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Gamma-E- ... s/299?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Tru-E-Bi ... /7225?at=0

That last one looks pretty good.
Thank you kindly for the links Jacob.
I am going to order the expensive one that is offered by Swanson.

astro_boy
Prolific Poster

Post by astro_boy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:27 am

Toco-8 and some of those others actually had more of the beta and delta that are more uncommon but the Carotech formula is supposed to increase the bio availability significantly. Meh, I wish people would do more studies. I haven't seen anything related to topical tocomin.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:47 am

chain wrote:

Thank you kindly for the links Jacob.
I am going to order the expensive one that is offered by Swanson.
Unless you have the $..you may want to wait to see if it goes on sale(I'm going to ask them about that). Or not go overboard on the # you get :lol:

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:30 pm

Well..no sales on the Swanson one at the moment. :(

goten574
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)

Post by goten574 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Any other evidence that tocotrienol may reverse MPB? I want to buy but it will cost me £35 for 120 caps, that's a little expensive for something that's most likely not going to help my hair. Perhaps I will wait for it to be on offer.

astro_boy
Prolific Poster

Post by astro_boy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:17 pm

I think primordialperformance did a very small study on their own product toco-8 and came up with similar results to this one. Not much to go on but at least the data isn't conflicting.

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:02 pm

I want to order a years supply (60mg x 360), do you think this would be suitable?

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Tocomin-Sup ... dientFacts

It's on offer it says, and much cheaper than the Swanson. Is this suitable to mimic what was done in the study? I understand the study used 100mg and this only has 60mg, so maybe I could alternate (2 tablets one day, 1 tablet the next day etc) to save cost. What do you all think?

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:05 pm

Just ordered 360 caps of Tocomin SupraBio from Vitacost. I plan to use 2 caps a day for the first few months, then reduce intake to 1 cap a day to stretch it out. Even if it doesn't help with hair, it was affordable for me, will last me 3/4 of a year and offer me a lot of potential health benefits. I used a 5% discount code + free mouse mat.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:49 pm

Haven't compared costs etc..but got this in a flyer from LEF: http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements ... de=SKD901D

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:25 pm

Jacob wrote:Haven't compared costs etc..but got this in a flyer from LEF: http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements ... de=SKD901D
Great item for a great price, far more tocotrienols in that than the one I purchased for a similar price. I read (and I may be wrong on this) that some types of tocopherol's reduce the effectiveness of some types of tocotrienols, if this is true that's not good but I guess it's better to get the whole range of Vitamin E than just half of it.

chain
Occasional Poster

Post by chain » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:16 am

Tomorrow I would buy a half-year supply of one of the two Vitamin E (with Tocotrienols). Which one of them you guys believe is better and cloeser(in terms of ingredients) to the ones that was used for the Caragen's experiment.

Thank you in advance!!

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements ... de=SKD901D

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU209/I ... 4294967192

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:24 pm

Sorry..didn't see this. I personally would go with the LEF brand while it's on sale. Others may have a different opinion.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:25 pm

Or you could go with Swanson's..which is on sale: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU209/ItemDetail

You can see what the previous price was here:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/offers/I ... de=INTE541

Again..haven't compared dosages/prices :-k

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:50 pm

To make your selection even easier..here's another(I've compared prices on some of his products..the large size ones were good deals..if you want to spend that much): http://health-fitness.hsn.com/andrew-le ... &ocm=sekw#

kamisama
Seasoned Poster

Post by kamisama » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Is anyone taking the tocomin from NSI? Does the bottle contain a layer of oil like stuff? I don't know is it the gels that have melted during shipment or it is suppose to be so. God damn vitacost and NSI does not reply to my email after like 3 weeks

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:22 pm

I ordered Tocomin SupraBio from Vitacost well over a week ago. I got an email from them saying I have to wait around 30 days for delivery since they currently do not have any SupraBio left in stock, even though it said it was in stock when I ordered. I am very dissapointed so I emailed them back and heard nothing... not very good but I will continue to wait.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:17 am

Well at least I'm not the only one they ignore. I've actually sort of boycotted them for this reason and haven't ordered a thing from them since they didn't respond to my emails(they USED to). One email was regarding a order I had just placed. Another was about something I ordered but never received..although I was never charged for it. That product they no longer carry..I see. I would say I sent about 6 emails total.

When you guys get the link to "rate" the products..I would just give 'em all a 1 star and say it has nothing to do with the product..but that VitaCost's customer service sucks.

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:13 pm

I am still waiting for my Tocotrienol from Vitacost. They actually replied to my emails (2 weeks late however) and said it's still on backorder and asked if I wanted to cancel. I said no but expressed my displeasure. I can not find toco's elsewhere that are A) that cheap and B) contain that amount of Tocotrienol without any Tocopherols inside.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:18 pm

I know what you may not want the Tocopherols..but isn't it the 8 that are "required" in these hair loss studies?

Here they talk about taking them separately: http://www.needs.com/product/NDNL-0907- ... I07NDNL3RD

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:30 pm

Jacob wrote:I know what you may not want the Tocopherols..but isn't it the 8 that are "required" in these hair loss studies?

Here they talk about taking them separately: http://www.needs.com/product/NDNL-0907- ... I07NDNL3RD
However, what most companies don't tell you is alpha-tocopherol interferes with the function of tocotrienol. For example, researchers concluded that effective tocotrienol preparations should contain less than 15% of alpha-tocopherol and more than 60% of delta- and gammatocotrienols. Total absence of alpha-tocopherol in the tocotrienol product would be optimal and should be taken at a separate time.
This is why I only want Tocotrienols, I don't think much of Tocopherols and the statement above shows the alpha form of it interfers with the function of tocotrienols. I thought the only tocopherol used in the hair loss study was alpha-tocopherol which as I just said, has been shown to interfere.

Do you think it's not a good idea to consume just tocotrienol?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:30 pm

Well..there are 2 hair loss studies. One with the Toco-8..the other with the product(I think) you're referring to/wanting to use, which is a Carotech product. Here's a PDF on the latter(you need to have Adobe or similar pdf reader) : http://www.carotech.net/publish/image.htm?code=212

It's probably ok to consume just tocotrienol..I haven't looked into it much..and I'm off to bed. Maybe IH will jump in here(don't fall over). My guess is it's best to take both, unless you're getting plenty of 'em(Tocopherols) via your diet.

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:09 pm

Jacob wrote:Well..there are 2 hair loss studies. One with the Toco-8..the other with the product(I think) you're referring to/wanting to use, which is a Carotech product. Here's a PDF on the latter(you need to have Adobe or similar pdf reader) : http://www.carotech.net/publish/image.htm?code=212

It's probably ok to consume just tocotrienol..I haven't looked into it much..and I'm off to bed. Maybe IH will jump in here(don't fall over). My guess is it's best to take both, unless you're getting plenty of 'em(Tocopherols) via your diet.
Who is IH?

I don't know if I want to add Tocopherols and I only consume about 30% of Tocopherols in my diet. I will think about it, but I already placed my order (I know I can cancel though)

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:19 pm

IH= Immortalhair

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:14 pm

Ok..did some reading up on this finally...finally cleared up for myself the difference between the two companies and what they use/contain...I think you already knew what I now know.

I'm reading a balance between the two is preferred..and even better- take them apart from each other. Which you also already knew.

There are..of course..other companies/brands out there..such as http://www.fcihealthscience.com/tocotrienol.html

And I won't be happy until there's a product that includes this: http://www.foodnavigator.com/Product-Ca ... Scientists

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:11 am

I'm not that keen on the new toco discovered, I'm happy with just tocotrienols for the moment.

Vitacost are really pissing me off (sorry for the language but grrrrrr!!). Got another email today asking if I wanted to cancel the order (4th time they asked now in 2 weeks), I actually 1 week ago said to them I understand your bottles of 60 softgel caps are out of stock but you also sell 120 softgel caps per bottle, are these in stock? No answer.

I think I will cancel my order but where else can I find tocotrienols like those for that cheap?

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Tocomin-Sup ... ol-Complex

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:53 pm

At least yours will be fresh, if you decide to still get them \:D/
I haven't compared the others posted here with those..so can't comment on the prices etc.

I've uploaded a couple of PDF's - "a couple of the papers that show that alpha-tocopherol attenuates (weakens) tocotrienol benefits, and another paper that show alpha-tocopherol to increase degradation of tocotrienols." as sent to me by http://www.acgrace.com

They can be seen under "latest files" here: http://my.hairlossfight.com/

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Jacob wrote:At least yours will be fresh, if you decide to still get them \:D/
I haven't compared the others posted here with those..so can't comment on the prices etc.

I've uploaded a couple of PDF's - "a couple of the papers that show that alpha-tocopherol attenuates (weakens) tocotrienol benefits, and another paper that show alpha-tocopherol to increase degradation of tocotrienols." as sent to me by http://www.acgrace.com

They can be seen under "latest files" here: http://my.hairlossfight.com/
So one paper says alpha-tocopherol weakens tocotrienol benefits? and the other says alpha-tocopherol increases degradation of tocotrienols? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but don't both statements say the same thing? "Increase degrading" that's bad if alpha-tocopherol degrade tocotrienol

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:16 pm

Yep..they're basically saying the same thing. That's why NEEDS..in the link I provided above..talked about taking them separately from each other. They carry that ACGrace E product..not cheap though: http://www.needs.com/product/AC_Grace_U ... upplements

The list of 'em they carry: http://www.needs.com/prod_detail_list/s/a

I'm just going by what they're saying..and I do read it elsewhere as well. So if a product like Toco-8 contains more Tocotrienols than a Tocotrienol-only product..that doesn't mean much. I'm sure it's still good..it just seems it's not the best way to be taking them.

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:07 pm

Jacob wrote:Yep..they're basically saying the same thing. That's why NEEDS..in the link I provided above..talked about taking them separately from each other. They carry that ACGrace E product..not cheap though: http://www.needs.com/product/AC_Grace_U ... upplements

The list of 'em they carry: http://www.needs.com/prod_detail_list/s/a

I'm just going by what they're saying..and I do read it elsewhere as well. So if a product like Toco-8 contains more Tocotrienols than a Tocotrienol-only product..that doesn't mean much. I'm sure it's still good..it just seems it's not the best way to be taking them.
I don't see any benefit of me getting tocopherol in the same capsule as tocotrienols. As for buying them seperately... why would this be good? My body as far as I know does not need tocopherol and I'm only buying tocotrienols because of what I've read about possible hair loss help.

The A.C. Grace only have the delta and gamma tocotrienols and yes, it's very expensive. Damn Vitacost!!!

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:11 pm

I guess it's best said that if you are going to take any..just take the tocotrienols. But if you do want to take both..take them separately.

The ACGrace product states "Predominantly d-delta tocotrienol, d-gamma tocotrienol"..how much of the others is in there..guess I could ask 8)

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:36 pm

Jacob wrote:I guess it's best said that if you are going to take any..just take the tocotrienols. But if you do want to take both..take them separately.

The ACGrace product states "Predominantly d-delta tocotrienol, d-gamma tocotrienol"..how much of the others is in there..guess I could ask 8)
Did the hair loss studies say which type of tocotrienol would be most effective? (if we assume these can help with hair)

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:35 am

Not that I know of. The Toco-8 was with all 8..the Carotech was with just the 4 tocotrienols..if I got that right.

ACGrace also has it in liquid form..which I would think would be a bit cheaper than in capsules/gelcaps: http://acgrace.com/mixed-tocopherols-oil.html

But that's like Toco-8..I guess.

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:38 pm

Got a reply from VItacost today:
Thank you for contacting Vitacost.com. I did check for the 120 softgels and it is also out of stock. I did cancel your order at your request. You may want to check with our customer service before you place an order for the Tocomin in the future. If you have any other questions, please contact customer service.

The best compliment I can receive is the referral of your family, friends and colleagues.
Looks like I won't be getting my toco's :( What I find offensive is the last sentence in that quote... yeah right, I had an awful experience and I wrote them an honest reply back

Jacob, if you happen to see just the 4 toco's together for a good price (Like Vitacost's NSI ones), let me know please. Thanks :D

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:18 pm

Will do.

I still have yet to get a reply from them myself....

The Natural posted this at Hairsite:
I did find this on the Primordial Performance forum, from a poster named Eric, who is apparently its founder:

"It is correct that if you supplement with additional alpha-tocopherol you may mitigate these benefits, but the amount naturally present in the Toco-8 is not enough to interfere with the benefits from the tocotrienols."
So I think even he is acknowledging it's the tocotrienols that are the most important. I guess for the price (see Chore's post on the sale) it may be the way to go at the moment.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:20 pm

Some more from AGGrace:
The product you mention is our UNIQUE E® TOCOTRIENOLS. This formulation of d-delta and g-gamma tocotrienol is the natural product derived from the Annatto Bean. The beta and alpha portion of tocotrienols is minimal in this natural mixture.

There are other forms of tocotrienols that are extracted from palm oil and rice bran – however, these contain alpha-tocopherol (which we have shown you inhibit absorption of the tocotrienols).

A.C. Grace products are the result of extensive research into finding and developing what we feel are the best forms of the products we offer our customers

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Jacob wrote:Will do.

I still have yet to get a reply from them myself....

The Natural posted this at Hairsite:
I did find this on the Primordial Performance forum, from a poster named Eric, who is apparently its founder:

"It is correct that if you supplement with additional alpha-tocopherol you may mitigate these benefits, but the amount naturally present in the Toco-8 is not enough to interfere with the benefits from the tocotrienols."
So I think even he is acknowledging it's the tocotrienols that are the most important. I guess for the price (see Chore's post on the sale) it may be the way to go at the moment.
I've looked at Toco-8 from Primordial Performance and not very impressed. It's more expensive than the NSI version, and has a lot of tocopherol in it. We know alpha-tocopherol reduce the effectiveness of some tocotrienol, what about the beta, gamma and delta tocopherol? maybe they too will go against the tocotrienol. Since we don't know, it's best to limit myself to just the Tocotrienol.

Sigh, what a pain

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:48 pm

I agree..I just thought for the price....

Maybe high amounts of all 4 aren't needed. I may end up using this for awhile: http://www.vitacost.com/A-C-Grace-Compa ... 0-Capsules

Been reading ACGrace's website and like what I've been reading.

Here's another ..but notice it's less potent: http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-Best ... 17131?at=0

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Jacob wrote:I agree..I just thought for the price....

Maybe high amounts of all 4 aren't needed. I may end up using this for awhile: http://www.vitacost.com/A-C-Grace-Compa ... 0-Capsules

Been reading ACGrace's website and like what I've been reading.

Here's another ..but notice it's less potent: http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-Best ... 17131?at=0
Not too keen on any of those. The A-C Grace would cost $170 for a years supply (too expensive for me) and the Doctor's Best is missing the alpha and beta Tocotrienol and generally it's basically an all delta Tocotrienol formula.

I will email Vitacost in a week or so and see if they have the NSI ones in stock. It would be nice if they could email me when they have them in stock but that isn't going to happen.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:31 pm

But that's what I mean..maybe all 4 aren't needed..or needed in such high amounts.

THE ACGrace product gives you 125 mg per gelcap..the Vitacost product only 60 mg ..so I guess it'd be nice if ACGrace would make a smaller mg product.

This combo was on sale a bit ago.. I think: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU355/I ... 4294967187

A coq10/tocotrienol combo.. http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU345/I ... 4294967187