Vacuum shows new regrowth in study.

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood III
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Vacuum shows new regrowth in study.

Post by cuebreeze » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:37 pm

EXAMPLE 1

Treatment of Baldness

This example illustrates the method for treatment of baldness by stimulating a patient's scalp with alternating ambient and negative pressures. Group of 10 bald or almost bald men were treated.

Each patient was seated in a comfortable chair and the paper strip was placed around his head similarly to a sweatband. The helmet having the rubber inflatable seal attached to its edge was placed over his head and the patient was instructed to pump the air into the seal until the seal was tightly enclosing the paper sweatband and effectively sealing the helmet's inner space around the patient's head. Patient was instructed to control the tightness of the seal so that it felt comfortable. The helmet was attached with a rubber hose to a panel containing a vacuum source unit of 3 hp, a mercury manometer with a dial for control adjustment and manipulation of the negative pressure, and a timer having a capability for manual or automatic alternating of the negative and ambient or positive pressure. The panel was connected to the electrical outlet. At the beginning of the treatment, the manometer dial was slowly turned so that the negative pressure gradually increased until the full vacuum of about 20-30 Hg was achieved. The negative pressure was slowly increased with every subsequent treatment until the upper limit 60 mm Hg was reached. The patient was treated from 3 minutes with the negative pressure depending on his reported comfort or discomfort. Then, the negative pressure was interrupted and the patient was treated at ambient pressure for periods from 10-30 seconds. The periods of negative pressure stimulation alternated with periods of ambient pressure. The period of ambient pressure was always shorter. After about 3-7 minutes of treatment (i.e., usually 3 alternations) depending on the patient's comfort, the helmet was removed and the scalp was examined for cleanliness, sweat, scratches, and irritations. The color of the scalp was usually bright red, warm, oily and moistured. The hair, if there were any prior to treatment seemed to get more luster and were visually refreshed. The treatment regimen was followed every day 3-7 days a week, except that the negative pressure was gradually increasing to the level comfortable to individual patient but preferably no more than to 60 mm Hg. After two weeks, or after about 6-10 treatments, the first signs of patchy gentle fluff appeared in bald patients. With extended treatment, after about three weeks of several treatments a week, the fluff changed to thin hair.

I got all this from the following site

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5228431.html

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster

Re: Vacuum shows new regrowth in study.

Post by cuebreeze » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:45 pm

id like to build something similar to this if anyone can help me out. What kind of vacuum i would use etc

Anxious1
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Post by Anxious1 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:46 am

id stay away from electronic vaccums, and instead try a manual one, like wats on ur blood pressure cuff except instead of sucking air in, it sucks air out. connect that to a dome shaped piece of plastic with a rubber cuff to make it airtight.

u may be able to modify the pump on ur cuff. i think its the valve which would make it work backwards, and u would need a valve u can quickly realise. u wouldnt want to have it stuck on ur head while it sucks more and more blood, there, ur head could explode. perhaps u should just buy a ready made one

cuebreeze
Prolific Poster

Post by cuebreeze » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:40 am

i got a cellulite pump which puts out 50 kpa and can be adjusted to a much lower setting. Im going to make a mould to fit my head than connect the existing suction cap to one that shapes my head. Than strap it aorund my chin.

This cellulite suction device also has a pressure realease button which immediatly lets all air pressure out. $25 on ebay and there is alot of info on them for use on wrinkles and bad skin etc.

p__
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Post by p__ » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:53 am

I just wanted to stress that this is not a study in the relevant sense, but a patent application. Unfortunalely, in practice patent claims do not need to be true and are seldom verified, even if the patent is granted. But thanks for the link!

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by hapyman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:44 am

Sounds interesting cue.

The first thing that came to mind is that you would want a rigid enough cap that wouldn't deform when the pressure is applied but it you would want it as close to the shape of your head to begin with. Something like an oblong tupperware bowl might work well for this.

Then if you notice in the patent, to seal around the head, they used some sort of inflatable tube. Something like an intertube from a bike tire might work really well for this. You may have to cut and resize it but it would work well. This would work probably on the same concept of your blood pressure cuff. Actually that makes me think you would be able to do your occluding exercises during the vacuum treatment :D

Then I'd agree with Anxious and get some sort of manual pump that will have a built in pressure gauge. However you may want to get a pump that can do both "sucking" and "blowing" \:D/ because the patent talks about alternating ambient and negative pressure. I am guessing the alternating motion of ambient and negative pressure helps increase blood flow by constricting and dilating the blood vessels. Something like this occurs during hydro therapy.

old_as_a_fossil
Occasional Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood VII

Post by old_as_a_fossil » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:48 am

hapyman, why is the cap you are referring to? what is its equivalent discussed in the patent?

bocor
Seasoned Poster

TRIAL THIS FOR FREE

Post by bocor » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:46 am

I think i will get one of those suction pore cleansers for face and try it on 1 receding temple for 2 weeks and see if i notice any lengthening of the tiny vellous hairs that have been the same length for years.I think they are powerful enough.I think i will buy the 40 dollar pore cleanser at walmart and if it doesnt work in 2 weeks then take it back.What do youall think?

old_as_a_fossil
Occasional Poster

Post by old_as_a_fossil » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:23 am

I tried to create the apparatus using a motor-bike helmet and a bicycle tube for the inflatable seal. The big problem I'm facing is in creating an effective seal. The bicylce tube upon inflation expands only outwards, not inwards, that means it cannot adjust varying head sizes, but has to be cut precisely for the size of my head. I wonder what is the material they talk about in the patent, which works with varying head sizes. So, using the custom-sized tube, the problem I'm facing is that since the tube is a straight material without a radious of curvature, there are sharp bends when it is made to create a circle as small as the size of my head, and this creates creaks for the air to escape. Also the tube is very tight around my head, would prefer to have a looser band around my head and which adjusts to the size of my head when inflated. Again, I don't know what material I should use for this.

bocor
Seasoned Poster

Post by bocor » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:31 am

Youall please update those who try.Hopefully ill get around to buying a cellulite sucker soon and try it on a temple.the thought of it though fatigues my mind! reminds me of over the years using scalp massagers,hair stimulator,lasercomb,and violet rays all with no results and its boring to hold a stoopid contraption to your head for hours per week with no results.....f...r.....u....s.....tt...r.....a....t.....i.....n.....g....!Anyways maybe ill get bored enough to try it but the thought of a helmet would make it MUCH easier but no sure its worth the investment to me for a big WHAT IF.....Im back on minox now after years because the naturals have failed me.....for now......Im taking astragaloside powder as well as brewers yeast and moomiyo....I will be experimenting soon with ormus internal and topical as well....Waiting for a breakthrough zzzzz.....zzzzz......zzzzz

old_as_a_fossil
Occasional Poster

Post by old_as_a_fossil » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:45 pm

bocor wrote:Hopefully ill get around to buying a cellulite sucker soon and try it on a temple
Can you tell how large is the area of the skin that will fall under the cellulite sucker at a time? Is this http://www.alibaba.com/product-tp/10987 ... image.html a correct picture of the device ? If so can you tell how it is used? I see a hammer shaped thing on the lower left side, and one big box connected by a wire to a small clip shaped plastic thing.

bocor
Seasoned Poster

Post by bocor » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:10 am

I wasnt actuallly thinking of the cellulite sucker but the pore cleanser/sucker they sell at wal-mart and other places to clean pores ,blackheads,cellulite ans dwrinkles.I think it covers a very small area so would take itleast 15 minutes to treat 1 temple i would guess.I just hope i have the patience but if it DOES lengthen vellous on that temple i would go full force on a helmet

old_as_a_fossil
Occasional Poster

Post by old_as_a_fossil » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:02 pm

I doubt it will work if you treat one small area at a time. I think it will only work if you treat the whole skin. I think what happens when you suck the whole skin at a time will be different from what happens when you suck one area at a time, because the skin is all connected but you are trying to treat it like it exists independently in every square inch. I did try by cutting a bottle at the bottom and sucking with a tube from the nozzle. When I suck in one area the skin from the adjacent area tries to get in but can't, due to the size of the bottle. I also fear that the skin falling under the edges of the bottle can experience damage due to traction.

old_as_a_fossil
Occasional Poster

Post by old_as_a_fossil » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:59 am

Wassup. I've made a setup by taking a safety helmet and closing the open areas at the sides and back with cellotape and rubber foam. I've fitted a vacuum cleaner nozzle at the top. I've somewhat succeeded in arresting the air escape (still some work remains there) and am using it daily.

old_as_a_fossil
Occasional Poster

Post by old_as_a_fossil » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:18 am

It make the scalp and face feel nice, so I hope it will have some effect. However the increased blood flow causes the heart to pump harder. Anyone think this can be a heart breaker?