WARNING!!...CHECK YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNTS!!

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

justthin
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

WARNING!!...CHECK YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNTS!!

Post by justthin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:59 pm

I have just been frauded a few thousand dollars in multiple paypal transactions .This has happened tonight but check all your transactions. I have put a stop to it but please check your own accounts. I am aware it could be any site but better to be safe then sorry!

Stupid a$$ theives
Last edited by justthin on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

p__
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Re: WARNING!!...CHECK YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNTS!!

Post by p__ » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Ouch! Sorry to hear that!

Do you mind giving us some additional info about what happened? Did it go through your paypal account or did you just see that it was sent to paypal on your bank statement? Was it linked to your credit/debit card? If you go to paypal and check the payment history, what does it say? Who received the money?

Jajo
Seasoned Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood IV

Post by Jajo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:11 pm

Just so you know, someone must have hacked your account or knows your password - the ONLY way your PayPal account can authorize a transaction on your behalf, whether thru your credit card or bank account, is if they have your password. Thats it. Its a one way system - you send, they recieve. Someone you have sent money to in the past can request money via email (ie, send you an invoice) or refund money (send money back to you) - they can't take it.

I've used PayPal for years with my business...never had a problem.

Jajo

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by hapyman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:16 pm

Yeah that stinks. I am guessing though that this was a password hijacked from a virus or trojan etc. That is unless all those thousands of dollars were debited towards Scalpure or AG. Otherwise neither of those companies have any access to your account beyond what you approve to send to them. They would have to acquire your password to do any of this. I am glad you caught it time though. I highly recommend changing your password and running some good virus/malware scanners. I had this problem before with a bank account.

I recommend running a combination "AVG Free", "Malewarebyte's Anti-Malware", and "Spybot S&D". Make sure you scan in "safe mode" too as it is more effective this way. Unfortunately one program cannot cover all of the known viruses to the same extent.

Good luck!

justthin
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by justthin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:23 pm

p__ wrote:Ouch! Sorry to hear that!

Do you mind giving us some additional info about what happened? Did it go through your paypal account or did you just see that it was sent to paypal on your bank statement? Was it linked to your credit/debit card? If you go to paypal and check the payment history, what does it say? Who received the money?

Yea it def sucks but at least I will get the money back thank god. Someone definitly phished or hijacked my password ..how? I don;t know . It was through my paypal account and with a credit card attached. I got an email saying your payment has been initiated first then in the span of 10minutes 5 more emails came through all with different email accounts saying your payment was sent. So whoever was trying to get it was using a a different email everytime.Also, the emails were from yahoo,gmail,hotamil(not spelling error).I immediately called paypal and they basically said the same thing as the other posts here...that the only way it can be done is by someone knowing my email and password..there is no other way.

Still feels crappy that this happened , I am just glad I caught it before it went too far and the other party recieved money and I was out of luck.

On a side note , I am running a few different scans now...I am in network security so this feels twice as bad.. :x
I don;t click the fake emails or links sent via messengers or emails so I am really curious as to how this happened. Trojans,malware,greyware etc can do it as well as many other things so I am going to do some investigating of my own and see what I can come up with while paypal does their own investigation on whoever did this.
I just wanted you guys to be aware of what happened and to check yourselves to be sure...again..better safe then sorry.

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by hapyman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:59 am

On a side note , I am running a few different scans now...I am in network security so this feels twice as bad.. :x
Yeah I am pretty good with computers too and as a result I seem to think I am always safe. I don't ever run real-time virus scans as I think for the most part they are worthless and resource hogs. Unfortunately in my case other people use my computer so I have had a couple bad infections. One was my fault though, I got careless but I immediately noticed that one.