D-Chiro-Inositol Insulin Resistance and MPB

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

JJB9050
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

D-Chiro-Inositol Insulin Resistance and MPB

Post by JJB9050 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:56 am

For those of you who don't know, PCOS and male pattern baldness have a very similar hormonal pattern. I stumbled upon a treatment that women have used with great success for PCOS in terms of getting a regular cycle and treating acne and unwanted hair growth. I was making some buckwheat bread and wanted to search for the health benefits of buckwheat (which is not technically a grain and gluten free) as I knew it was pretty healthy.
http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/inositol.html

Basically, I've read that women with PCOS have lower levels of D-Chiro-Inositol, and supplementation helps reverse insulin resistance and takes care of a lot of their problems. The main source is buckwheat and especially buckwheat farinetta. Some people also use carob syrup and soy lecithin. I'm not sure if they contain DCI or just related compounds like D-pinitol. D-Pinitol is supposed to be a precursor and helpful as well, plus it's cheaper. I think about 1/3 of it converts to DCI. If you do a search for dci and pcos, you'll find tons of stuff by women talking about how it helped them get periods and took care of their acne and hormonal issues.

An impaired ability to produce d-chiro-inositol may be an explanation for those that suffer from MPB and PCOS. Plus it's one thing that hasn't been tried much before from what I can tell by those with MPB on message boards. Of course, why one would have lower levels of DCI while others don't has yet to be explained.

Since men have similar hormonal issues and MPB has been linked to insulin resistance, I figure it won't hurt to make buckwheat products like breads (grain free) and kasha a regular part of my diet. (It's also found in fruits and vegetables, but buckwheat is the highest source I found) Plus maybe get some carob syrup or powder and up my dose of IP-6 which I just started taking. Just thought I'd let you guys know. I'd love to hear thoughts on this stuff.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Re: D-Chiro-Inositol Insulin Resistance and MPB

Post by Jacob » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:21 pm

The IP-6 is something we discussed at Hairsite some time ago. I take it here and there- those chewables are good :D

Good to see you here btw 8)

doozaney
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by doozaney » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:14 pm

How much insulin can kill you if you are non diabetic? Would it be painful to die from an insulin overdose? Im just wondering how much insulin would it require to kill you. I don't know much about it although my cousin is a diabetic. I am not a diabetic. How much insulin would it take? Would it be painful or would it just knock you out and you die.
Last edited by doozaney on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fizzball
Prolific Poster

Post by Fizzball » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:46 am

Doozaney, I may be interpreting your question incorrectly and if so I apologies but if not I mean this in the nicest possible way... get some help! :|
Don't mistake my optimism for stupidity