miconazole nitrate

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Charlie Bradley
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood IV A
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Nioxin System 3 Shampoo, Conditioner, serum,
Nioxin vitamins,
Rexall B Complex vitamins (with Biotin
Nizoral
Neutrogena TGel
Paul Mitchell Formula One shampoo

Re: miconazole nitrate

Post by Charlie Bradley » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Justin I am glad to read that someone besides me has noticed the quick change. I am noticing stubble all over my scalp but the same left sided temple thickness as you (I wonder if it has to do with the way we're applying it ?)

For those in doubt about using Miconazole Nitrate, I would suggest you try it for a week and see if you begin to notice any difference. This morning I woke up with an interesting feeling: There was an area on my scalp that felt kind of like the "soft spot" on a baby's head. I'm not sure what that means but it was NOT there yesterday....I guess time will tell.

For those of you still in the doubt about Miconazole just get one tube--or if your wife or girlfriend has a tube that they're using for yeast infections--use the finger-length amount that I've been using 2x daily (morning and night for about a week let us know what kind of results you're seeing.

Charlie Bradley
Regular Poster
Nioxin vitamins,
Nizoral
Neutrogena TGel

Post by Charlie Bradley » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:44 pm

I'm so excited!!!!!

Back in the late 1990's when I was in high school, probably 11th grade or so, I used to part my hair in the middle and have my bangs hang down on the left and right sides--some of you may remember this as the "butt cut" hairstyle although I can't remember what the actual name was for it...it looked kinda like Brad Taylor on the last season of the TV show Home Improvement...well I can now find the back of that part line--probably about a three or four inch segment and the front of that line at my bangs. I haven't found that part line since 2005 at least!

dreamlandman
Seasoned Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A
Treatment Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily

Post by dreamlandman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:24 pm

I am using the brand 'Daktarin' which is indicated for athlete's foot rather than other more private areas which makes it easier to obtain. :wink:

Strangely, I started losing my hair very early on one side rather than the other and this is the side which hasn't really responded as yet which makes sense if a reversal of sorts may be occurring.

I have considered taking photos as I'd like to see I'm not embellishing the results in my head. I'll have to use my iphone though as I don't have access to a camera. I wonder what the quality may be...possibly not the best, I don't know for sure. It's a 3GS.

Justin.

Charlie Bradley
Regular Poster
Nioxin vitamins,
Nizoral
Neutrogena TGel

Post by Charlie Bradley » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:34 pm

Justin I think it would be a good idea for you to upload some pics too...that way everyone can compare my growth reports with yours.

I am buying the walmart brand of the miconazole for yeast infections. While I've gotten some strange looks it doesn't bother me anymore than the strange looks I get when I have to buy laxatives either LOL.

mitcky
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood III A
Treatment Regimen: Premox

Post by mitcky » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:20 pm

A soft spot on my head would scare me to death!

Charlie Bradley
Regular Poster
Nioxin vitamins,
Nizoral
Neutrogena TGel

Post by Charlie Bradley » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:07 pm

I don't think it was a "soft spot" like we see in babies' heads, but rather a spot that is similar in that texture where new hairs will eventually come in. ....all I can say now is that its been an interesting 28 days on my scalp.

Fizzball
Prolific Poster

Post by Fizzball » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:10 pm

Has anyone experienced abdominal pain from using Miconazole nitrate on their scalps?
Don't mistake my optimism for stupidity

Charlie Bradley
Regular Poster
Nioxin vitamins,
Nizoral
Neutrogena TGel

Post by Charlie Bradley » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Fizzball wrote:Has anyone experienced abdominal pain from using Miconazole nitrate on their scalps?
not me more than anything I usually experience due to my having IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome). I tried using Saw Palmetto about four or five years ago as I heard that it helped for hair loss but I had to stop it because it exacerbated my IBS-related constipation

dreamlandman
Seasoned Poster

Post by dreamlandman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:57 pm

Going to try and take some pics soon with my iPhone to get a sort of baseline for results even though I've been using it for over 3 weeks now.
There's just vellous hairs getting longer all over the place in random spots and a general greater noticeability of the vellous hairs overall.
If it does continue this way months down the track, I will be literally dumbstruck as I've had ZERO regrowth from everything I've used since my early 20's and I'm now coming up on 40.
Here's hoping I'm not deceiving myself!

Justin.

Fizzball
Prolific Poster

Post by Fizzball » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:57 pm

Sounds encouraging Justin :)
Have you been using it once daily or just once every second day. I can't wait to see some pics :)

lost.hair.lost.youth
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Other
Norwood Level: Norwood V
Treatment Regimen: Nizoral 2% 2x/week started on May-2011.
Finasteride 1.25g 6x/week started Oct-2011.
Minoxidil 5% 7x/week started on Nov-2011.

Post by lost.hair.lost.youth » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:53 am

dreamlandman wrote:Going to try and take some pics soon with my iPhone to get a sort of baseline for results even though I've been using it for over 3 weeks now.
There's just vellous hairs getting longer all over the place in random spots and a general greater noticeability of the vellous hairs overall.
If it does continue this way months down the track, I will be literally dumbstruck as I've had ZERO regrowth from everything I've used since my early 20's and I'm now coming up on 40.
Here's hoping I'm not deceiving myself!

Justin.
Awesome! :D
*making preparations to enter the bandwagon.... looks at Jacob :p*

I don't want to jinx things but, there may be the possibility that this causes the growth of hair but not real hair. I mean, the type of hair that you have on your arms. Does this make sense?
The thing is, you say vellous hair is growing in a lot of places where you had none... but does it becomes terminal hair?

I have diffuse hair loss, with lot of thin and vellous hairs, so I'm also very much interested in making them terminal and thicker.

Charlie Bradley
Regular Poster
Nioxin vitamins,
Nizoral
Neutrogena TGel

Post by Charlie Bradley » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 am

I think it does eventually become terminal. Some of the Miconazole growth I've seen seems to be turning terminal and to my natural color (a very dark brown) while some of the growth I've seen with the Miconazole has kind of a greyish color kind of like a cement block and still other growth has a kind of golden yellowish tint at the ends. Going to be taking and posting more pics soon as well as going to my stylist for a much needed haircut as the sides and back of my hair are getting longer than I would like....also I have a hair problem I haven't had in years--the sides of my bangs are now long enough that they are getting down into my eyes and I haven't had that experience in many years!

Fizzball
Prolific Poster

Post by Fizzball » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:38 pm

btw this is the lotion I was considering buying, it just seemed like it would be much easier to apply to the scalp, I still have plenty of hair on my head so I wanted something that could be simpler to apply more efficiently.

http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product.asp ... n+2%25+30g

It might be worth a try for those wanting to try this without resorting to smearing cream on their heads.

Charlie Bradley
Regular Poster
Nioxin vitamins,
Nizoral
Neutrogena TGel

Post by Charlie Bradley » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Fizzball I think that would be worth a try, what I'm doing is applying where I need it and then using a small pocket comb to comb it through my hair. I will have a more concrete sense that the MN is working when I go to my stylist for a cut on Saturday. She's known me for years and knows my hair very well she was among the first handful of people who told me I was thinning and I just laughed it off

dreamlandman
Seasoned Poster

Post by dreamlandman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:31 am

lost.hair.lost.youth wrote: I don't want to jinx things but, there may be the possibility that this causes the growth of hair but not real hair. I mean, the type of hair that you have on your arms. Does this make sense?
The thing is, you say vellous hair is growing in a lot of places where you had none... but does it becomes terminal hair?
As Charlie has said and what I saw from some pics on other forums as well, it appears that they eventually may go terminal.
I was particularly amazed by the pics from the Irish guy (I think he was from memory) but he used it twice daily, I'm only using it each night.
My vellous hair was always there but so tiny it was like very blonde soft stubble 1mm high - insignificant.
It just appears to be getting longer and in some spots longer again, like random patches of grass on a lawn that are growing better I guess.

lost.hair.lost.youth
Seasoned Poster

Post by lost.hair.lost.youth » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:41 am

I remember reading here about some products that claim (if they really do I'm not sure) they make hair thicker. Are there products that (help) make vellous hairs into terminal hairs? I'm just wondering on the synergies that may be possible here.
But in any case, it would be better to solo with mico for some 6-9 months and then try to combine it with something else.

dreamlandman
Seasoned Poster

Post by dreamlandman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:12 am

Yeah, if all goes well I shall probably follow that format as well. Give the Mico a chance to do its thing properly over a number of months and then add some enhancers/encouragers if need be.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:23 pm

I don't want to jinx things but, there may be the possibility that this causes the growth of hair but not real hair. I mean, the type of hair that you have on your arms. Does this make sense?
this is a valid question. I have a few times over the last 10 yrs used something that has grown lots of vellis hairs, or sometimes small black hairs, and evertime it happened i got all excited and told people on forums etc.

a few examples: 7 yrs ago i saw a trichologist , i got a hair analysis and had high mercury, aluminium, and a few other things, my mercury was above 97percentile(higher than 97% of population that has been tested)i got put on glutathione( for liver function and detox) Blackmores SPPC sodium phosphate potassium chloride, for increasing stomach acids and pH balance and chyawanprash for vitamins and minerals. Anyway i got a field of vellis hairs, and i got excited. They never grew bigger, and 2 yrs later i could no longer afford the supplements.

also about 4 yrs ago i tried yuda pilatory for a few yrs, and the same thing happened i got a field of vellis hairs but they never grew bigger. And eventually i gave up.

my point is, if something is affecting the growth cycle, shouldnt we see hairs shed first, then regrow bigger. Not no shedding and tiny hairs regrowing. Its although all i did was accelerate the miniturizing process. Or grew back miniturized hairs where terminal hairs had long been gone.

by the way i regret one of my choices, yuda pilatorys a well known scam now, but i think the mercury detox did improve my mental function just not my hair.

lost.hair.lost.youth
Seasoned Poster

Post by lost.hair.lost.youth » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:13 am

Reading that really got my hopes down :(
And while I buzz my hair, I don't think having vellus hairs will help it anyway, since it's basically invisible hair and my hair is black.
"At puberty, the androgen hormone causes much of the vellus hair to turn into terminal hair and stimulates the growth of new hair in the armpit and the pubic area."
This change only occurs in some body areas.

On the other hand the follicles on the hair are hair cells, not androgenic cells, so what it grows it probably real hair that just stays as vellus.
By googling I found some forums saying that the use of Propecia may turn vellus into terminal.
Did you try coupling Propecia when you had vellus growth Anxious1?
also about 4 yrs ago i tried yuda pilatory for a few yrs, and the same thing happened i got a field of vellis hairs but they never grew bigger. And eventually i gave up.
If they did grow vellus hairs, maybe it wasn't a total scam. I don't know.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:46 pm

maybe. But perhaps the scam part , is making ppl believe that vellis hair regrowth, is hair regrowth. ok so technically it is, but its totally pointless if they never grow into terminal hairs. And i've yet to hear from someone who has grown terminal hairs from it. Not to mention the ridiculous claims that hair regrowth occurs in a few weeks, and combined with theyre dumb before after photos.

Fizzball
Prolific Poster

Post by Fizzball » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:12 pm

I just thought I would put a wikipedia link to vellus hair here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vellus_hair

Perhaps another way to go about this is to look at the studies done on Ketaconazole which is similar to Miconazole nitrate, its not directly the same but it shares similar purposes, at the end of the day this is all just discussions and whatever results from this all is a mystery one that I hope we have some sort of answer to in the near future.
Hair loss is an extremely difficult thing to cure because of many things but the most irritating thing is the greed being displayed by many in the business, motivation for such a discovery aren't always for our benefit but sometimes more so for their own, many want the credit, their name in the spotlight, money and admiration from their peers rather than whats good for the unfortunate members of society dealing with this problem.

As far as Ketaconazole is concerned there is some information on wikipedia in respects to its affects on hair.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketaconazole

I think it will be a long while before we see some honesty in this business and when a cure is found it will be held up in red tape and litigation.

lost.hair.lost.youth
Seasoned Poster

Post by lost.hair.lost.youth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:52 am

I had already posted a link to vellus hair in my message above. It was not clear the relation between vellus and terminal head hair.
"During puberty, the increase in androgenic hormone levels causes vellus hair to be replaced with terminal hair in certain parts of the human body." <- this sentence makes it seem the term "terminal" can be used to refer to head hair follicles or androgenic follicles.

My understanding is that what is on the head is always head-hair-follicles. Why it doesn't transform from vellus to head-hair-terminal, I do not know.

mitcky
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood III A
Treatment Regimen: Premox

Post by mitcky » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:07 pm

Charlie...

Any further update???

Thanks

Charlie Bradley
Regular Poster
Nioxin vitamins,
Nizoral
Neutrogena TGel

Post by Charlie Bradley » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:00 pm

Yes!

I'm 8 weeks in and today I went to get my hair cut---it was getting REALLY long in the back and on the sides and one of the first things my stylist asked me was "CHARLIE what are you doing to your hair?!" she remarked about the stubble that is now getting some shades of my natural color--a very dark brown similar to dark roast coffee beans--and I told her what I was doing I said "I'm using Miconazole Nitrate" her exact words were "what the he-- is that?!" and I told her "you might know it better as Monistat 7" and, again her exact words were " you're sh---ing me!!!!" She is the stylist I've been with for years (we met when we were both in college) and she knows my hair extremely well. She's seen me try Rogaine, Nioxin, and everything else in my regimen that is included alongside this post with no success...

I'm not comfortable enough to begin the process of elimination just yet as the jury is still out--I'm wondering if all the products in my regimen aren't doing a little something and the Miconazole just happened to be the kicker....

I plan on posting some pics later this evening after the batteries for my camera charge.

Fizzball
Prolific Poster

Post by Fizzball » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:47 am

I have often seen doctors suggest that people wrap the target area's of creams with cling wrap after applying a cream to help with absorption... I wonder if its worth wearing a swimming cap or something to sleep after applying some MN.

I'm very keen to see your results thus far Charlie, from what I have seen in many instances is that the claims of hair growth seem to hold up but regrowth seems to be largely unsupported, those that are mixing treatments concurrently do not count as it does little in my eyes to prove that MN alone will regrow lost hair but as it is early days yet and not much detailed information has surfaced.

lost.hair.lost.youth
Seasoned Poster

Post by lost.hair.lost.youth » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:38 am

Charlie, dreamlandman and any others following this treatment... can you give us an update, if it includes pics even better :)
Thanks

lost.hair.lost.youth
Seasoned Poster

Post by lost.hair.lost.youth » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:34 pm

lost.hair.lost.youth wrote:Charlie, dreamlandman and any others following this treatment... can you give us an update, if it includes pics even better :)
Thanks
this ^

Fizzball
Prolific Poster

Post by Fizzball » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:56 am

Has anyone experienced a shed upon application or as a result of using MN?

Bombarie
Prolific Poster

Post by Bombarie » Tue May 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Charley and Justin you guys have an update?

Ore you guys have all your hair back and dont need this site anymore? :D :-"

dreamlandman
Seasoned Poster

Post by dreamlandman » Wed May 04, 2011 3:35 am

I wish. lol
Decided to add Minox foam back into my regimen since I've read great results from those who use Minox plus the Mico, since it seemed that my 'results' weren't progressing any further. Hope this combo kickstarts some action since I'm sick of slowly losing overall or just nothing truly positive happening.

Plus, since my Finasteride usage seems to be losing its effectiveness I decided to up my dose from 1mg to 2 mg as others have reported a renewed benefit from doing that after years of use. Hope this combination of things does something positive. Have already noticed the shed commencing, so let's hope regrowth actually occurs after that. Will do this for about 4-6 months at least now I think.

Justin.

goneugly
Treatment Regimen: Many lol

Post by goneugly » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:35 am

What happened to Charlie? I'm going to try this monistat 7 beginning tomorrow and will take pics if I see it's working. I have no bald only thinning as well ass NO growth past a certain pt.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:34 am

This build of toxins and fats could possibly be explained by the increase in DHT and other changes as we age.