Philip Kingsley

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Natasha26
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Nanogen Scalproller
Nanogen VEGF serum
Nanogen Intervention for women
Shu Uemura Silk Bloom shampoo and conditioner
Shu Uemura Essence Absolue
Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil Shampoo
WAWAZA Aya Camellia oil
Funori Seaweed Hair powder
Omega 3 6 9+1 capsule of Evening primrose oil daily

Philip Kingsley

Post by Natasha26 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:09 am

Hello everyone,
You all know how I am always on the lookout for simple, effective and result-driven products. Well, I have been very interested for sometime about the british trichologist, Philip Kingsley's approach to treating hair disorders including itchy, flaky scalps and hair loss.
I stumbled across this amazing hair aticle which I had to share:

Hidden dangers to your hair
By Marianne Power, Daily Mail Last updated at 00:00am on 08.07.03

We all know that excessive hair-styling and swimming can leave your hair in bad condition. But a new book reveals the damaging effect on your scalp of the modern day medications we use every day, including aspirin, vitamins, HRT and antibiotics. Marianne Power reports.

Vitamin C

THE PROBLEM: 'Very many people take vitamin C to prevent colds,' says trichologist Philip Kingsley. 'But often they take much more than they need. Although the body is said to flush out excess vitamin C, there are side-effects.

'I once had a patient who drank a gallon of orange juice a day, because he said it helped the skin on his face. But the result was a flaky, itchy and inflamed scalp. He stopped drinking so much juice and it cleared up.

'Overdosing on vitamin C affects the reproduction in the scalp and the skin cells, and increases the levels of pityrosporon ovale yeasts that cause flaky, inflamed scalps.'

THE SOLUTION: Moderate your intake of vitamin C to a glass of orange juice a day or one pill a day. You don't have to stop taking it altogether, but don't assume that if one is good for keeping you healthy, two will be twice as good. You must not over-medicate.

Thyroid drugs

THE PROBLEM: Incorrect treatment of thyroid problems can result in hair loss, hair brittleness, dryness and dullness. People either suffer from hyper (overactive) or hypo (underactive) thyroid, when the gland which regulates the body's metabolism is working too slow or too fast.

When it's too slow, women tend to gain weight and feel lethargic. When it is overactive, you can be underweight and highly energetic. If the balance of medication is not right when treating the problem, the thyroid condition can go the other way (hypo to hyper and vice versa).

With a hyperactive thyroid the reproduction of the hair follicle cells speeds up, hair falls out in handfuls and you can lose hundreds of hairs a day. It is impossible to replace them as fast as they are being lost, resulting in hair thinning.

If you are hypothyroid, your metabolism slows down and so hair does not grow back as quickly, leaving thinning patches.

THE SOLUTION: It is important to keep going back to the doctor to adjust your medication so that it is just right. Monitor your medication regularly with your doctor.

Asprin

THE PROBLEM: A low dose of aspirin (anything from half to two a day) can lower haemoglobin levels, which results in a mild anaemia and iron deficiency. Iron is essential for the normal growth and maintenance of hair and a deficiency can cause thinning and shedding hair.

Hair consists mostly of protein cells, and a lack of iron interferes with the growth of these cells. If you do not have a family tendency to hair loss or thinning, the chances of hair loss as a result of the aspirin are slim.

THE SOLUTION: Take a blood test to confirm anaemia and take iron supplements on a doctor's advice. Eat iron-rich food such as leafy vegetables and red meat.

Vitamin E

THE PROBLEM: Excessive vitamin E, used as a powerful antioxidant, can lower the absorption of iron in the body. As with aspirin, this can result in a mild anaemia which can cause brittle hair and hair loss in a few cases.

THE SOLUTION: 'If you take iron and vitamin E at the same time, they counteract each other,' says Philip Kingsley. 'So take one vitamin E tablet in the evening and an iron tablet in the morning.'

Vitamin A

THE PROBLEM: Taking more than 10,000 IUs of vitamin A can make your hair fall out. It increases cell reproduction in hair follicles, which means they reach the end of their growth phase faster.

When hair reaches the end of its growth phase, it falls out, so the sooner it reaches the end of its growth phase, the earlier it falls out. A normal growth phase lasts about three or four years.

It is hard to replace the hair at the same rate. The average length of woman's hair is 10in, which takes a year and a half to grow.

THE SOLUTION: As with vitamin C, you must lower your dosage. 'To counteract damage, you must make sure you wash your hair every day and gently but firmly massage the scalp well,' says Philip Kingsley. 'This helps to stimulate the scalp.'

Anti-acne treatment

THE PROBLEM: In some cases hair can fall out with the anti-acne drug Roaccutane because it is based on vitamin A, which speeds up the growth rate of hair, causing it to fall out sooner than it should.

THE SOLUTION: Try an alternative acne treatment and use moisturising treatments for your hair.

Anti-inflammatories

THE PROBLEM: If taken regularly over more than three months, anti-inflammatory painkillers can cause extra shedding of the hair and hairthinning in three per cent of cases. THE SOLUTION: Try changing to another anti-inflammatory drug. It is a matter of trial and error as to which anti-inflammatories have a lesser effect. Some people can be more susceptible to one type than another.

Antiobiotics

THE PROBLEM: Antibiotics are known to reduce haemoglobin and also lower vitamin B levels, sometimes making hair fall out faster. The illness being treated can also be the cause of hair loss.

THE SOLUTION: Take vitamin B supplements when on antibiotics.

Anti-depressants

THE PROBLEM: Anti-depressants have been linked to extra hair loss. Again, it varies according to susceptibility and affects only around two to three per cent of people.

It is not known why the drugs trigger hair loss. In some cases women experience it as a result of extreme stress and depression, so they go on Prozac, which also causes hair loss.

THE SOLUTION: Only a tiny percentage of people are affected. 'I would not recommend anyone avoid anti-depressants because of the tiny risk of losing hair,' says Philip Kingsley.

Cholesterol inhibitors

THE PROBLEM: Cholesterol inhibitors including Lipitor and Effexor can cause an increase in hair shedding in one per cent of cases.

The normal hair shedding rate for an average person is 100,000 hairs in four years, which is 25,000 hairs a year, 2,000 a month, 500 a week and around 70 a day. Faster shedding rate combined with slower replacement hair results in thinner hair.

THE SOLUTION: 'It is normal for hair to fall out seasonally, usually in spring and autumn,' says Philip Kingsley. Up to six weeks is fine. After that, seek advice. For anyone to notice hair loss they will have had to lose 15 per cent of their hair.

Chemotherapy

THE PROBLEM: Almost everyone associates chemotherapy with hair loss. The drugs that kill off the cancer cells also kill the cells in the hair follicle.

Hair will always grow back after chemotherapy. However, it might not grow back the same as it was before treatment - straight hair may grow back curly and vice versa.

THE SOLUTION: There is no alternative to chemotherapy. Some hair loss is inevitable but you can minimise it by bandaging ice packs around the head before and during treatment. This restricts the flow of chemical therapy around the head.

The Pill

THE PROBLEM: Many androgenic oral contraceptives (containing male hormones) can lessen hair.

THE SOLUTION: There are some brands of oral contraceptive pills that are anti-androgens and help hair growth, including Dianette, Marvelon, Mercilon and Cilest.

HRT

THE PROBLEM: As women get older, their hair volume reduces naturally because the hair follicles microscopically shrink and produce smaller hair. Hormone replacement therapy can exacerbate the problem by acting in a similar way to the androgenic pill.

THE SOLUTION: HRT pills that aren't androgenic include Premique, Femapak, Femoston, Indivina and Tridestra. These will not cause hair-thinning but should not be used for this reason alone because they may be linked to fluid retention and weight gain.

•THE Hair Bible by Philip Kingsley is published by Aurum (£9.99). http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti ... ur-hair.do

Natasha26
Prolific Poster
Nanogen VEGF serum
WAWAZA Aya Camellia oil

Re: Philip Kingsley

Post by Natasha26 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:34 am

Well I had to try the Philip Kingsley hair products as I wanted to test their efficacy. Being a hair loss sufferer, my scalp is not in good health. It's always itching, flaky with excessive sebum secretion and my hair ends are very very dry with split ends that need to be cut off every month.

I have used Kerastase bain age recharge, kerastase biotic and oily scalp shampoos as well as Phyto shampoos to treat this problem but the second day after I wash my hair, it is still itching, oily and limp.

Fast forward to this week where I used Philip Kingsley's Scalp mask (which I reviewed and compared to Kerastase Biotic Concentre Bio Recharge), Philip Kingsley Shampoo for flaky/itchy scalp, Philip Kingsley Elasticizer and Philip Kingsley Scalp Toner. Based on the results I got, I regret wasting my money on all those expensive shampoos and didn't use PK instead.
The Scalp mask is a pre-shampoo treatment that you apply to the scalp before shampoo and it has exfoliating and soothing actions. It contains Salicylic Acid, Olive Fruit Oil, Piroctone Olamine, Menthol and Camphor. This scalp mask instantly soothed and energised my itchy, anaemic scalp. I then applied the Elasticizer pre-shampoo intensive mask on my hair ends and let these sit for 30 minutes. Afterwards, I shampooed with PK flaky/itchy shampoo and my hair and scalp felt incredible. I am astonished with the results which I didn't expect. I lost much less hair than I usually do with my other shampoos and my hair felt very soft while my scalp felt light not thick and itchy. I then applied the scalp toner and my hair is feeling and looking better after a very long time.

I am now officially a Philip Kingsley convert. I am no longer in search of the perfect shampoo as I have found it. For all those of you who suffer from itchiness, flakiness and oiliness like me, I strongly recommand you try this. And for those sensitive to smells, the PK products don't contain any smell. It's really medicine for the hair. I look forward to my hair regimen now while integrating my hair loss treatments.

Cheers,
N

Natasha26
Prolific Poster
Nanogen VEGF serum
WAWAZA Aya Camellia oil

Post by Natasha26 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:52 pm

Has anyone else tried the Philip Kingsley line?

Pete2
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Pete2 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:34 am

Yes its good - the toner and shampoo

Add some topical coconut oil also for improved results.

Natasha26
Prolific Poster
Nanogen VEGF serum
WAWAZA Aya Camellia oil

Post by Natasha26 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:57 am

Hello Pete2,

Which shampoo from the Philip Kingsley line are you using? Im using the one for flaky/itchy scalp and the moisturising one.
Have you used the scalp mask also? It is very good.

I was using coconut oil consistently but I haven't been using it for two years now. Does it help with regrowth?

Pete2
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Pete2 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:38 am

coconut oil will help rebalance the immune response

Natasha26
Prolific Poster
Nanogen VEGF serum
WAWAZA Aya Camellia oil

Post by Natasha26 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been using the Philip Kingsley's scalp mask and elasticizer and they have been delivering impressive results so far. My limp dry hair has more bounce and body and my scalp feels energize. The scalp toner has soothed the itching to some extent but I'm having better results with the scalp mask.

Cheers,
N