resveratrol and curcumin

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

clydro
Occasional Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood III A
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Finasteride (1.25mg/day & nizoral (1x/week). Just also started A&G hair serum and RevitaLash Hair Conditioner.

resveratrol and curcumin

Post by clydro » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:35 am

Anyone having any positive or negative results taking resveratrol and curcumin for hair loss??

LaCie
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood IV
Treatment Regimen: LLLT (3 times/week)
Finisteride (5mg/day)

Re: resveratrol and curcumin

Post by LaCie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:24 pm

For almost 20 years I have used finasteride 5mg/day (proscar). In the beginning it really did wonders. The first 3-4 years I believed that it was the cure and that I was never going to be bald. In the beginning I saw regrowth and my hairloss stopped. However after 3-4 years I realized that even though it had slowed down the hairloss I was still lossing hair and the MBP was obviously kicking in. I tried Minoxidil but it never worked for me. I decided to continue finasteride and accept that I was balding. Then last year I got seperated from my wife and started to focus a bit more on my looks ;-) I joined various hairloss forums and started on following regimen (not all items at once)

1. Curcumin: 1x400 mg Super Bio Gurcumin from Life Extension
2. Ecklonia cava Extract (Seanol): 1x1200mg from NutriCology
3. Cod liver oil: one spoon/day
4. Resveratrol: 2x200mg natiral trans resveratrol from Now Foods
5. LLLT: 3xweek (30 min/session) homemade helmet with 400x5mW 660nm lasers
5. Vitamin D3 + Vitamin K2: Now foods
6. zink: internal - can't remember dose and fabric
7. Bentonite clay: Every day before shower
8. Magnesium: ínternal - can't remember dose and fabric
8. Varoius vitamins
9. Magnesiom oil: Few Ancient Minerals
10. Saw Palmetto fortified wit beta sisterol, zink and pumpking seed oil (internally): 1 pill/day from Saw Palmetto Harvesting co

I started out with curcumin and I can defently say that this works. After 2 month I added 2, 3 and 4 but I really can't say for sure if it did anything. When I added 5 (LLLT) I again noticed substantial regrowth but whether it is from 5 or 1-4 I can't really say. When I added 7 and 8 I saw further improvement but again with such complex regimen it is difficult to point out what is working. I can defently say that my complete regimen works. I have really had good regrowth and it seems to continue. Furthermore I feel that my overall helth is improved and my libido is awesome. I don't believe in the 30 month window anymore because I have had regrowth in areas that have been dead for a decade. Hope this will help / inspire some to continue the fight

clydro
Occasional Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood III A
Treatment Regimen: Finasteride (1.25mg/day & nizoral (1x/week). Just also started A&G hair serum and RevitaLash Hair Conditioner.

Post by clydro » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi LaCie, I really appreciate the feedback. I’ve also been a long time user of fin (1.25mg for ~12 years) and have seen the same decline in it’s effectiveness over the past 2-4 years. I added toco-8 to my daily treatment ~2 months ago and start taking resveratrol and curcumin this morning. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I can at least regain some hair.

Just curious but how old were you when you started taking 5mg of fin?

Cheers, Clydo

LaCie
Occasional Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood IV
Treatment Regimen: LLLT (3 times/week)
Finisteride (5mg/day)

Post by LaCie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:05 am

Hi clydro
I was 17-18 years old when I first noticed that I was loosing hair and about 19 when I started using fin.

intricate1
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: A&G hair complex rogain nizoral

Post by intricate1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:59 pm

Jacob do you take reserv/curcum? Anybody seeing good results and how long did it take?

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Jacob » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:25 am

Yep..I've taken them in the past in greens/fruits type products too. I'm not expecting too much in the hair area because of them..but thought I'd give 'em a try for awhile- as separate supplements.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:05 pm

Or maybe I'll starting eating my resv: http://www.winetimebar.com/winetime-right-kind.php
There are two different kinds of Resveratrol— "cis" and "trans" Resveratrol. Studies show that the Trans form is the key health-promoting ingredient. The best kind is natural, but, of course, you would need to drink an excessive amount of wine a day to achieve that. Trans-resveratrol is more biologically active and beneficial and is the form that has been the subject of the vast majority of research.

The Resveratrol in the Resveratrol WINETIME bar comes from two key sources - Resvida™ and BioVin® Advanced French Red Wine Extract. Both are trans-Resveratrol.

In developing the first bar to contain Resveratrol, ResVez has partnered with DSM Nutritionals, the world's leading nutritional ingredient supplier boasting $3 billion a year in sales. DSM, headquartered in the Netherlands, employs 23,000 people worldwide and has locations on five continents. ResVez has elected to use its breakthrough Resvida ingredient which is produced in state of the art facilities in Europe, complying with the strictest safety, health and environmental standards.

In fact, Resvida is the only known Resveratrol with a safety package, acknowledged FDA structure function claims and self-affirmed GRAS status (Generally Recognized as Safe). The primary benefits of Resvida are:

* Guaranteed high purity Resveratrol
* Patented production process
* Free from pesticides
* Scientific documentation
* Comprehensive safety package

Research

DSM has invested extensively in a comprehensive program to demonstrate the safety of Resvida and commented: "Our research program shows that Resvida is safe, bioavailable and well tolerated by humans." The safety assessment conducted by the independent Burdock Group reported, "...it is concluded that the oral intake of DSM's trans-Resveratrol (Resvida™) as a dietary supplement at levels up to 450 mg/day for a 60 kg (132 lb) person, is safe in accordance with the standard of reasonable expectation of no harm."

Unlike most other companies, who have no substantiation behind their Resveratrol, DSM has even committed to funding human clinical trials using Resvida. One study investigating endothelial (heart and blood vessels) function is being conducted by Professor Peter Howe at the University of South Australia, Auckland, Australia; the other, a study of gene expression in muscle, cholesterol, blood sugar levels and other markers of metabolic and cardiovascular health, is being performed by Dr. Sam Klein's group at Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri. The results of the Australian research are expected towards the end of 2009; the St. Louis results will be reported in 2010.

Resvida has also been selected by the U.S. Government's National Institutes of Health for an ongoing Resveratrol study in monkeys.
The Best of France

The other key source of Resveratrol in WINETIME bar is BioVin Advanced, a unique red wine extract manufactured in France from premium red grapes. This exclusive extract, from grapes harvested in the famed Rhône valley, contains 5% red wine trans-Resveratrol and 30-35% red wine polyphenols, including anthocyanins and other flavanoids. The whole grape constituents in BioVin Advanced enhance the body’s antioxidant defenses to counteract the effects of free radicals.

The grapes from which Biovin is sourced are fermented in France into wine, which then undergoes filtration to remove any impurities, The final product is purely extracted and washed with grain alcohol before the alcohol is evaporated, resulting in a potent concentrate.

CyVex Nutrition, the U.S. company which imports the extract, has been providing ground-breaking and high quality ingredients since 1984. Company founder Gilbert Gluck is acknowledged as one of the pioneers in launching innovative branded nutraceuticals for products aimed toward addressing human health and wellness.

Each of its ingredients is guaranteed by its exclusive quality assurance system for safety and efficacy. This includes identity testing of incoming raw materials through FT-NIR, third party certification by independent laboratories for active ingredients, microbiology, heavy metals and even pesticide and solvent residue when applicable.

Note: In contrast, most competitive products in the marketplace use Resveratrol extracted from the roots and stalks of the knotweed plant (Polygonum cuspidatum) and originate from China, which is a low cost and low quality source.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:53 am

You may have seen Mercola's tumeric/curcumin recommendation: http://www.organicindiausa.com/product_ ... ucts_id=30

Juka

Post by Juka » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Hello,
any updates on the effectiveness of these products?